We continue from Part 2:
7. Identify a suitable testing / verification method to verify compliance to the product characteristics determined in Step 3 above
- Your testing method will depend on the characteristic and its significance.
- Characteristics that are critical to food safety, legality and quality need to be performed by an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory
- Qualitative tests e.g colour, taste, aroma etc should have clear specifications such as colour charts, photographs, diagrams or reference samples
- All test methods as well as the specifications for the characteristics should be documented
- Staff should be trained and deemed competent to perform the onsite tests / inspections and all equipment used should be calibrated
- Test methods may range from a quick visual inspection (integrity of ingredient packaging or expiry date on label), or internal lab test at the receiving step, to a more complicated test that may require quarantining the product, sampling and sending the sample for analysis to a contracted laboratory.
- Include shelf-life verification testing such as microbiological, pH, water activity, sensory evaluations etc based on retention samples
8. Implement the Product Testing Programme
- Implement the Product Testing Programme and ensure that you have the schedule on your outlook calendar or scheduled digitally to remind or prompt you of the tests
- Analyse the results and sign them off as evidence of checking compliance against the criteria
- Follow your non-conformance protocols for any non-conforming product
- Ensure that all results are traceable to batch number
- Maintain all the required records that form part of the testing programme
9. Update the Product Testing Programme in line with any changes
10. Review the Product Testing Programme to determine suitability and sufficiency
- Include the review of the Product Testing Programme as input on your management review meeting to discuss any modifications that may be required
- Maintain records of all meetings and manage the programme modifications as part of your document and data control programme
ENTECOM FOOD SAFETY APP
Our food safety software solution
How can Entecom help you?
We know that many food businesses struggle to make sense of all the food safety compliance requirements and end up feeling overwhelmed, stressed out and wasting a lot of time and money.
We have a digital food safety management solution to help you convert from paper to paperless that you can manage your food safety system with ease.
With Entecom Online, our Food Safety App, we help you manage your Product Testing Programme digitally.
With Entecom Online you can:
Manage your system via cellphone, tablet or laptop
Access your food safety system remotely when you need to
Schedule all your product testing digitally
Receive reminders and prompts
Pull trends and reports
Find results with ease